X Q D - the Letters of Doom?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,442
X Q D - the Letters of Doom?

I have been considering to upgrade from M43 to FF for some time now. And I nearly pulled the trigger on a Z6+24-70+FTZ, when it was down from € 2750 to €2270 (100.- more than the €400.- rebate!).

I knew the Z6 used XQD cards, but didn't bother to read up details. I only had passing thoughts, that Nikon DSLRs used to have 2 card slots, and some were using CF cards ... whatever that is.

Then I read about the new firmware and CFexpress card and started to research: I then realized that 32GB in XQD cards is about €100, 64 GB 150.- and 120GB at 200.-. Since there is only one card slot in the Z6, I'd prefer smaller cards, so that not half the holiday pictures are lost, if a card fails. This would mean , for about 250 GB for longer holidays, I had to spent up to 700 for 32 GB cards, at least however 400 for 2 120 GB cards.

Now the price of the body-lens-FTZ kit is down another € 100 to 2150.-. A Sony A7.3 is only 150.- less without lens or adapter and 1000.- more with 24-105, but no adapter.

This can only mean, that demand for Nikon Zs is low. And I wonder, whether this is due to the excessive cost of memory cards.

Probably Sony only would sell their sensors to Nikon on condition they make use of the SOny XQD cards - while Sony keeps selling lots of their A7.3s with SD cards in 2 slots. An interesting power game with Nikon on the looser side.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Nikon Z6 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow