Amazed by 80D at 12,800 ISO

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Amazed by 80D at 12,800 ISO

John Sheehy wrote:

Listen, YOU said the crop factor was lost, implying some practical meaning. The crop factor has no direct imaging value; pixel density does. My point is to stop attributing characteristics or qualities to the wrong things, as all that does is stop people from truly understanding things.

Sure I did:-) The "crop factor" difference between a 6D and a 80D is very real and has a very practical meaning in real life. Just look at a bird through the view finder of a 6D and then the 80D with a 400mm lens. And I will continue to use terms like "crop factor", "equivalence" and "reach" as those are practical terms in the real world instead of using long and complicated explanations every time I want to express the difference:-O. Think of the term "crop factor" as an abbreviation covering complicated relations between pixel density, sensor size, viewfinder size, camera technology and generation, frame rates ... and you will hopefully feel better. Otherwise you could install a plugin into your browser that automatically translates "crop factor" into a long and complicated explanation before you even read the offending combination of words;-)

BTW: I hated the 6D for its AF system, speed and handling but not for its sensor, pixel density or IQ. In fact I upgraded the 6D to a much more expensive, large, heavy and complicated camera with the same sensor size and pixel density and only slightly better IQ and I couldn't be happier. I still sometimes use my 7D2 because of its "crop factor" to give me more "reach" as it makes my 560mm lens setup "equivalent" to 896mm. Have a great day in this complicated world of camera technology and terms:-)

-- hide signature --

Oh no! He should know by now that "equivalence" is a forbidden word for APS-C but perfectly allowed for 1” Sonys, compact cameras, smartphones and maybe even for M43s.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow