How to know what dioptric adjustment lens to get?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MollyMalone222 New Member • Posts: 10
How to know what dioptric adjustment lens to get?

I did try to do a search but am new to this forum, so did not seem to find exactly what I'm asking...

So, if I'm new to needing glasses for distance, and glasses in general really aside from readers. I am fine using my readers to read the info on the LCD screen. But, my concern is how to see through the viewfinder? Aside from it certainly being smaller than what I view thru my film SLR, it I'm finding my eyesight to be worse now and can't see what's in the viewfinder much at all.

I did find a post here where someone answered that the "distance" of what is in the viewfinder is 30 to 40 inches. So, if one of my old 1.5 drug store readers works to see something that far away for me, does that mean I should get a -2 dioptric adjustment lens? I have already asked my opthamologist for help and they just simply don't know enough about the dioptric lenses to help with this. And I have not found the info online really...it's taken me 2 months of research to figure out I want the negative not the positive diopter finally. At least I think that's right!?

[I don't really use glasses for general viewing of things in the distance, like a landscape. But, I do need them to see details close up. And of course, I do need them for something like seeing a PowerPoint presentation at a conference (might be 30 feet away) but also for reading the onscreen TV Guide (might be 12 feet away), seeing someone's face clearly down the hall, or if I needed to see details on someone's face if they were sitting across from me. And at night to cut the glare of lights in the distance.]

So, help if you can! I'd really like to be able to see thru the viewfinder!!

So, how do I know if I need Canon Diopter -1, -2, or -3, -4? I understand that these are NOT directly linked to the number on a prescription. It says my right eye is +2.25 Sphere with a slight nearsighted astigmatism of -.75. And the Add part says +2.25.

Thanks in advance for any help!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow