Amazed by 80D at 12,800 ISO

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,949
Re: Amazed by 80D at 12,800 ISO

slr_SoFL wrote:

I've actually been looking very hard today at FF. What do you think 6D vs 5mkiii vs 6Dii

If you're happy with the 80D, I think you'll love the 6D2. It's basically the same camera but with a FF sensor. The 6D2 is worth the price premium over the original just on the updated AF alone, both through the OVF and the live view. It's not much of an upgrade on image quality alone, but mostly on performance and usability.

The 6D2 took a lot of heat in reviews for its lack of DR compared to other cameras (less than 80D even), and lacking 4K, dual card slots, etc. But now that the dust has settled, most users are finding it produces great pictures in the real world. If your shooting style regularly involves under-exposing a scene by 3 stops and pushing shadows up, this camera is not for you. Otherwise, it performs pretty damn well.

That said, if the budget can only swing a 6D you won't be disappointed with it. I owned the 6D longer than any other FF camera I've had, it produced great results. But...be prepared to be underwhelmed by the very basic AF system after using the 80D.

As for the 5DIII, it's still a very valid option but you're going to have to go the second hand route. To me, the only advantage over a 6D2 is the better AF system (and AF joystick), and possibly dual card storage if that matters.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow