Canon 200-400 f4 is L

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Canon 200-400 f4 is L

jimbrobb wrote:

What are you guys opinion on this lens?

Is it very front heavy and still sharp at 540mm?

Thanks, Jim.

I've had mine for almost 5 years and I still find it is one of the most versatile lenses out there, especially for safaris. It is heavy so I can't hand hold it for more than 20 - 30 seconds. I guess I mostly use it hand held but also on monopod, on tripod w/ a Wimberley gimbal head and sometimes with a bean bag. I like that the internal 1.4x TC hardly affects the IQ even wide open.

I sometimes envy my wifes 100-400L mk ii for size and weight but only until we get into  more challenging situations. I sometimes think a prime might be better but only until I get into situations where the zoom capabilities saves the day. I sometimes think that 400mm is a little short but then the 400mm + 1.4x internal TC + 1.4x external TC + 1.6x crop ~ "1254mm equivalent" give me photos like the one below and then I still think I have the right lens for me.

200-400L + internal 1.4x + external 1.4x + 1.6x crop (7D mk ii) slightly cropped.

I use it with a 1DX mk ii and a 7D mk ii. The more heavy 1DX mk ii balances size with the lens.

I have talked with a pro wild life photographer couple who often travel with a 600mm mk ii and a 200-400L. They say that the 600mm is the better long lens but if they have to travel with only on big lens, they will bring the 200-400L for flexibility and near the same IQ.

-- hide signature --

Oh no! He should know by now that "equivalence" is a forbidden word for APS-C but perfectly allowed for 1” Sonys, compact cameras, smartphones and maybe even for M43s.

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS M50 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow