Aperture on kit lenses vs smartphone

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam_85 New Member • Posts: 15
Aperture on kit lenses vs smartphone

I was wondering if anyone can explain why kit lenses typically have aperture ranges of 3.5-5.6 (so not brilliant in low light) whereas my phone (samsung s9) has an aperture of 1.5 giving me much brighter, clearer and less blurry photos in low light (indoors)? I thought that with sir cameras having much bigger sensors that they would be able to let more light in and therefore produce better photos in low light but since the phone has a much better aperture for low light it's giving me much more reliable, clearer photos. My current slr (nikon d3100) in auto mode often won't even focus in low light, and I have to ramp up the iso in manual mode for it to even let me take the photo and then its blurry and un-usable! This seems crazy?! I'm looking to replace my nikon with a canon m50 soon but am concerned that as the kit lens has the same aperture range I will get the same results! Does anyone know why kit lenses don't come with bigger apertures? Seems crazy that I will have to swap to using my phone as soon as I'm in dim lighting?! Im not that clued up so sorry if this is a stupid question! I feel like I will need a bigger aperture more than I will need a smaller one so seems odd that kit lenses go for the smaller side?

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Nikon Coolpix S9 Nikon D3100 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow