2019 Lens Wishlist

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,497
Re: 2019 Lens Wishlist

sportyaccordy wrote:

SeanHew wrote:

1. 500 f/4

2. A lighter version II of the 70-200 f4 (I really want this to be ~600g)

I think it's doable. For Canon weathersealing seems to add ~300g to its tele zooms and their sealed 70-200/4 is about 800g. I'd gladly give up weathersealing for a light constant aperture or 2.8-4 tele zoom.

It's not necessarily just weathersealing - Pentax has some pretty small/compact/cheap weathersealed lenses.

Have an example of a sealed vs. nonsealed telezoom of the same focal range?  If so - what's the difference in elements/groups in the optical arrangement (if any) - chances are high that there will be a difference.  This is especially noticeable for 70-300 designs - lightweight cheap designs with lower numbers of groups/elements are kind of notorious for purple fringing.

With Canon, weathersealing usually is part of a "premium" design and other changes accompany it.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow