16-55mm f2.8 for sports

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Clive99 Regular Member • Posts: 479
Re: 16-55mm f2.8 for sports

Truman Prevatt wrote:

crazydoglady wrote:

Thanks, don't worry to find any more! I tried with the 50mm again today and it was so much better. The 16-55 is perfect when things aren't moving, but maybe I should get it checked.

One thing I have noticed with the 50-140 is if I am zooming while using AFC and shooting - I tend to have a higher number of bad focus than I would expect. If I am not zooming - namely using the lens as a fixed focal length it works better. When I was using the Nikon D800E and the Nikon 70-200 f4 for the track - I had virtually now misses and I simply held down the AF-On button and shot while I zoomed. The H1 and 50-140 well not so much. if I zoom, then hit AF and then shoot, drop out of AFC Zoom, and then hit AF and shoot I get much better results than keeping AFC engaged, and zooming while shooting.

That might be what you are experiencing. My 50 to 140 is rock solid if I am not doing AFC, zooming to track action and firing shots at the same time. If I am using it that way I can expect out of focus images.

Agree. I've found the same thing with any of my zoom lenses. Zooming while shooting results in a lot of OOF images.

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow