“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,417
but...

Pete_W wrote:

Richard Butler wrote:

Since we don't have the capacity to review and assess every single comment, it's up to each individual to consider whether they're fighting or contributing to the nastiness.

Richard - dpreview.com

In my view, DPReview indirectly encourages this nastiness by presenting almost everything it reviews through the prism of FF. Every other camera system reviewed on this site is put into equivalent terms and by default, FF is presented as the best/ultimate/superior model, which means that by default everything else is viewed as inferior. This builds arrogance in many of those FF owners who seem intent on posting derogatory comments about any other format.

If reviews only compared cameras to others within the same format and did not refer at all to other format cameras, it would help reduce the nasty comments from people boasting about their superior light gathering/resolution/DoF/etc. And comments posted on articles that mention another format camera could simply be deleted as off topic, a simply way to moderate.

I know this may seem radical, but what's to lose? If people want to compare a M43 camera with an APSC or FF format camera, they can just dial up the relevant review and make their own comparison. Comparing cameras across formats seems completely daft to me. To use a car analogy, review articles are always done by class. I've never seen a VW Golf compared with a large 6-cylinder SUV.

This really sounds good, except for one important thing. Dpreview creates a lot of buyers guides to help users make buying decisions, and M4/3 cameras fall into multiple categories. So they need to be compared to other products in the same category, even if they have different sensor sizes.

Shouldn't the Olympus EPL9 and the Panasonic GF10 be considered in the Budget Camera group?  Wouldn't someone looking for a high end action/wildlife camera want to consider an Olympus E-M1X?  Isn't an Olympus E-M5 II in the same product category as a Sony a6700... despite having different sized sensors?

I will admit it would be silly to compare a Panasonic GF10 to a Fuji GFS 50R, but Dpreview never does that sort of thing. Because they truly are in completely different product categories.

And to be honest, the differences between these cameras comes down to build quality, features, and performance at the extremes, not where most amateurs use them. Many amateur photographers have moved up or down in sensor size, and some use multiple different sensor formats.

If you don't need weather sealing and a high resolution mode, then a $500 EM10 is just as good as a $1,000 EM5 for your needs. And something like a Fuji X-T30 or Sony a6400 isn't that much different.

Most new camera buyers just want to know "what can I get for $1,000" or "which camera is best for travel" so comparisons across different sensor sizes is often very appropriate.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
sbu
GGD
NCV
NCV
GGD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow