My D500 shoots 11+ fps

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,154
Re: Or, Let’s "KISS"

"Keep It Simple Stupid" (a generalized cliche that is not directed at anyone ... but me!)

Open an image which was shot in continuous in View NX-i or Capture NX-D and note the last 2 digits in "Date Shot" ... say it's 05 ... cycle to the next image ... it should be 15, then 25 etc. ... 10 one hundredths of a second between each shot. That would be ten frames per second ... right? You don't even need to see more than two or three images to determine that! ...

But in reality it is not quite that simple, because my D500 at least, does vary some. I shoot a lot of tennis, and the bursts are usually between 4 and 7 shots with an occasional "chase down" sequence that can be more than 20. Sometimes I see a consistent 10/100 between shots, but more often they vary by -1 or -2 to +1 or +2 hundredths.  But generally speaking it averages to 10/100 each shot. That's my case, anyway, and I'm satisfied that my 3+ year old D500 is shooting to the spec Nikon claims.

To be shooting 11 FPS it would have to average 9/100 between shots.  Because I see a variance, I don't doubt there could be some cameras that are doing that.  Whatever condition that makes the numbers vary could simply be consistently -1, -2, 0 or +1, in a sequence that would average 9/100 per shot.

I have always looked at that "Date Shot" line and been satisfied I'm getting 10 FPS. But at the same time, I have always observed a variation. It never concerned me. Should any of us care about plus or minus a hundredth of a second? ... I don't think so. Do I need 11FPS ... uh, that would be 10% more images to go through.  Maybe in a weekend I would catch a couple more balls on the racket.  But is it worth trudging through two or three hundred more images?  Naa ... I'm good.

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow