“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,502
I can use a wonder lens on all my M4/3 bodies forever ...

Marty4650 wrote:

You might be perceiving a lot of "negativity" about this lens, but I don't see it that way.

I see three responses:

1. Great lens, and I want one
  2. Great lens, but it isn't for me
  3. Great lens, but it was a mistake to make it rather than some other lens I want

The one response you just don't see is "not good enough, it is a piece of junk." That is a response that I would personally consider negative, even if deserved.

The equivalence trolling is uncalled for.

I suppose you could consider that third group as being negative, but they really are a small minority of M4/3 users.

They are not even necessarily M4/3 users.

They are simply expressing their frustration about a product they won't buy because it fails to meet their needs or their budget,

With 100 or so M4/3 lenses about already and well stocked with “more affordable” lenses those that design and make for the M4/3 must find it increasingly difficult to make new “affordable” lenses for remaining niche purposes.

Some of the best lenses available for the Canon EF lenses were designed as far back as the 1990’s and even then were just re-hashed FD mount lenses.  So why must we be constantly titillated by updated lenses for M4/3 - it seems that some seem to simply wish that the same lens type be re-issued every few years with some (somehow) incorporated new features - as it it were a new camera body (smile).  This thing simply is not necessary for lenses except to  issue a new model which was mechanically deficient in some way when first made.  The need to replace dwindling stocks is probably a good opportunity to make a necessary mechanical change.  Making a MkII so as to allow better integration for dual stabilisation is one - hardly necessary for the MkI owners to rush to upgrade though.

And these same responses are true for every lens created for every system.

Not really - Nikon and Canon - now Sony and presumably Fuji have ”Unaffordable” lenses in their lens suite and only affordable by the well heeled or professionals and do not seem to bring the same cries of anguish as exotic lenses released for the M4/3 system.  This is the cry of what threatens to be relegated as a “poor man’s system” unless Olympus and Panasonic keep issuing fringe area exotics to round off their already substantial (mostly affordable) lens suites.

Most of us are thrilled to see yet another wonderful lens added to a long list of wonderful lenses. And even though some of us won't want them it, or be able to afford it we still are glad it exists.

I agree with the “most” - but there is a smaller minority that can make quite a ruckus about it.  Hey GM just made another Cadillac and I cannot afford it ... (?) Simply does not make sense.  If you were buying into one of the new FF ML systems with only a handful of expensive lenses on offer then complaining about only unaffordable lenses being offered might make some sense.  But why waste a cheap lens on a larger sensor might be easily related to the other issue that a great lens must make the 4/3 sensor perform better. And this is a lot more subtle than size, weight and expense - or an equivalence challenged perspective.

Someone will want it and buy it, and it's existence makes the entire system more appealing.

Yes, I am willing to buy some of the exotic lenses if and when I can afford one and remain continually surprised at just how much these lenses can improve the images caught be them.  It is not just a stop or even and half stop - these lenses are very well designed and I presume that they use the best glass as well.

One of the wonders of M4/3 for me is my purchase of a Nocticron 42.5/1.2 for use on a GM1 (!) initially now over five years ago.  Amazing what such a lens can do for one’s photography.  Of course the Olympus 45/1.8 and Panasonic 42.5/1.7 are both tiny compact wonders in their own right and very affordable. But do I choose to use a 45/1.8 when its quality of compact and capable features are best served.

But it was the Nocticron that locked me into “knowing” that the M4/3 system was capable of great things.  And of course I can “still” get to use it on my G9

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
sbu
GGD
NCV
NCV
GGD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow