“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,465
”Unaffordable” exotics have their place in the M4/3 system

LoneTree1 wrote:

Anyone with an average income who ruminates on not being able to afford a Ferrari is likely mentally-unstable.

I think that this is fair comment but people like to read about Ferraris in magazines without complaining that they cannot afford one in their wildest dreams.  My analogy is that if complaints are made about “unaffordable” lenses made by any manufacturer (Be it Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, even Panasonic) then it is much the same issue.

We should simply bathe ourselves in the wonder that such lenses can be made and offered for sale and understand that our “f2.8” is quite a lot cheaper, more versatile, and quite good enough for our purposes.

So what is a stop and a half, or even a stop if we wish to carp, for a whole lot more money to get something unique and cutting edge for the M4/3 system between friends?

We are not forced to buy these exotic lenses any more than we are forced to buy these cutting edge lenses when their purpose is more cutting edge than we might ever need.

In Australia this is known as the “tall poppy syndrome” where those that might show ostentatious wealth need cutting down to “everyday” size.

Some people even take great delight in demonstrating that their mobile phone camera can take “just as good images” as our relatively humble M4/3 cameras

So instead of complaining that “unaffordable”, heavy, and equivalence-challenged lenses are made just think “extraordinary what M4/3 can offer ... but not for me” and pass on very glad that M4/3 already offers about 100 lenses in all sizes and price ranges and surely if i get to own 10% of them in time I will be very well equipped indeed.

So the “unaffordable exotics” are there to show those that like to own the very best gear that they need not leave M4/3 to get their hands on the cutting edge lenses that most “normal” people would never make themselves afford.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
sbu
GGD
NCV
NCV
GGD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow