“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,431
Re: That is only a problem for non system users

JakeJY wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

You might be perceiving a lot of "negativity" about this lens, but I don't see it that way.

I see three responses:

1. Great lens, and I want one
  2. Great lens, but it isn't for me
  3. Great lens, but it was a mistake to make it rather than some other lens I want

The one response you just don't see is "not good enough, it is a piece of junk." That is a response that I would personally consider negative, even if deserved.

Well you are missing a 4th which falls closer to the last response: it's a 20-50mm f/3.4 equivalent costing $1800 and thus is overpriced/pointless.

It is only pointless if you use some other format.

If you use M4/3, then it is the fastest wide to normal zoom lens available. No other lens even comes close.

(OK... now I will indulge you by playing the silly equivalence game.)

Your only other options are:

• a Panasonic 24-70mm f/5.6 or
  • an Olympus 24-80mm f/5.6 lens

And those lenses cost around a thousand dollars each. This new lens will cost a bit more, but it is a lot wider at the wide end, and a lot faster than either one of those.

If price is a problem, then M4/3 has a solution for that too. You could get

• a Panasonic 24-64mm f/7.0-11.2 or
  • a Panasonic 24-120mm f/7.0-11.2 lens

for around $100 or $200 respectively.

Note that I understand all that, I'm not arguing for the 4th argument I posted, and what you laid out would be a nice counter argument.

My point was mainly there were many comments by others along the lines of the one posted (as well as some saying it's too big a lens for MFT). I think comments along this line can be considered negative.

I’d say the point is debatable, even if you have another system.  It all depends on the optical performance of the lens.  Good T-stop, sharp wide open, sun stars, flare resistance etc, etc.

It’s a very useful focal length range for a wide shooter that wants more than 12mm and less than 8mm.  You could see it as the ultimate travel lens.

Launch prices tend to be higher than long-run prices.  Maybe the lens performance justifies the price?

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
sbu
GGD
NCV
NCV
GGD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow