“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JakeJY Senior Member • Posts: 3,502
Re: That is only a problem for non system users

Marty4650 wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

You might be perceiving a lot of "negativity" about this lens, but I don't see it that way.

I see three responses:

1. Great lens, and I want one
  2. Great lens, but it isn't for me
  3. Great lens, but it was a mistake to make it rather than some other lens I want

The one response you just don't see is "not good enough, it is a piece of junk." That is a response that I would personally consider negative, even if deserved.

Well you are missing a 4th which falls closer to the last response: it's a 20-50mm f/3.4 equivalent costing $1800 and thus is overpriced/pointless.

It is only pointless if you use some other format.

If you use M4/3, then it is the fastest wide to normal zoom lens available. No other lens even comes close.

(OK... now I will indulge you by playing the silly equivalence game.)

Your only other options are:

• a Panasonic 24-70mm f/5.6 or
  • an Olympus 24-80mm f/5.6 lens

And those lenses cost around a thousand dollars each. This new lens will cost a bit more, but it is a lot wider at the wide end, and a lot faster than either one of those.

If price is a problem, then M4/3 has a solution for that too. You could get

• a Panasonic 24-64mm f/7.0-11.2 or
  • a Panasonic 24-120mm f/7.0-11.2 lens

for around $100 or $200 respectively.

Note that I understand all that, I'm not arguing for the 4th argument I posted, and what you laid out would be a nice counter argument.

My point was mainly there were many comments by others along the lines of the one posted (as well as some saying it's too big a lens for MFT). I think comments along this line can be considered negative.

JakeJY's gear list:JakeJY's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9300 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
sbu
GGD
NCV
NCV
GGD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow