75 mm filters holder and Fuji XF 16 1.4

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Manny82 Contributing Member • Posts: 710
Re: 75 mm filters holder and Fuji XF 16 1.4

Yes exactly, it's not just about buying filters slightly larger than the diameter of the lens. If you plan to stack filters, say an solid filter plus an ND grad plus maybe even a circular polariser on top (very common) then you need to account for the fact that the circular polariser will be like at least half an inch from the lens front (depending on the system). At super wide angles you will run into problems because of the angle of view of such wide angles. You may be ok with the XF16mm (24mm equiv) with the smaller Lee system, but I suspect you'll run into problem with the Samyang 12mm if stacking.

I use the Format Hitech Firecrest Joel Tjintjelaar Signature Edition Long Exposure Filter Kit 1. It's the 100mm kit plus I bought a Firecrest 105mm circular polariser for it.

When I used to use this on my D750 and Nikon 18-35mm lens, if stacked, I would still get slight vignetting at 18mm. So it all depends on if you wish to stack. Also for what it's worth, I know that Formatt Hitech totally changed the design of the filter holder system to reduce these issues - the new holder is very clever. I've never used it, but I can see it would be a lot better than conventional older designs.

Sorry for all the info, you probably don't care for half of it, but it may give you some food for thought.

Manny82's gear list:Manny82's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow