D500 > A6400 for Wildlife

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,483
Re: D500 > A6400 for Wildlife

Mark K wrote:

Just finished shooting A6400 for a short trip. I find it much noisier than D500....Is that the case in your guys?

I haven't personally experienced the A6400, but it should be quite close to the A6300 which I use.  I haven't found the noise to be very high - compared to other cameras I've used or compared to what I generally see posted from similar cameras and sensors like the D500.  It could be related to your processing methods which might need to be tweaked for a different camera, might be down to exposure differences as even with the same camera, ISO 6,400 can be extremely noisy or almost noise-free, just based on how underexposed and dark conditions were.  And it could be a matter of fine-tuning the NR settings in camera - I personally like NR low when shooting JPG, with the goal of nailing the exposures - some prefer NR off and doing their own NR in post.

I am quite comfortable at ISO 6,400 with my A6300 - using that limit very regularly when shooting birds in dark forest conditions and BIFs at sunset and dusk.  I shoot in JPG, rather than RAW, and generally attempt to get my exposures correct as opposed to underexposing with the goals of raising the exposure in post-processing.

When the exposure is reasonably good, noise stays pretty low and detail pretty high even as you get up to ISO 16,000 to 20,000.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow