“Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering.”

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,342
Re: Fear not on the dark side Luke, for I am your father

I carry a soapbox for just such occasions. Here it is now.

Micro four-thirds is a decade-old system in its maturation phase. As such, a good deal of product development is rightfully directed at filling holes with niche products. Why the 10-25? Because we didn't have a fast, wide video-centric zoom lens and there is no market for, say, another "standard zoom" they could have developed instead. The forthcoming bigger than big super tele zoom will fill a very different niche and will attract even fewer buyers than the 10-25, but could well be even more important to m4/3's maturation.

The photography industry has plateaued and is presently in decline. Job 1 is keeping current users in their system and not jumping to another. That's the short-term goal. Job 2 is far more important: attracting phone photographers to the system. To do that, a complete toolbox of gear is required and m4/3 is in the midst of the stocking of its box.

"But, where's my [insert pet imaginary camera/lens]?" as frequently lamented in camera forums can be helpful when forward-directed but is market poison when the gaze is directed backward. 2008 is done and buried.

Box stowed until next time.

Cheers,

Dad

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
sbu
sbu
GGD
NCV
NCV
GGD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow