Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,895
Re: Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

CatholicBlock wrote:

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. It seems like the consensus is that the newer 35mm f/2 makes more sense for baby shots considering the fast AF.

I’ve read that the fast AF speed translates nicely to older bodies as well, so that’s what I’ll probably do — I’m between the X-T1 or X-E2 now, as I don’t really like the X-T10/20 body handling.

I will probably never get a larger zoom lens, so I’ve wondering if the X-E makes more sense. Then again, a larger viewfinder is nice.

The 50mm f/2 is a great suggestion! I’ll get the 35mm first as I want that focal length anyway, but will consider the 50mm if kid portraits create too much distortion.

The X-E3 has the faster processor and 24mp sensor (the same sensor and processor that’s in the X-T2/X-Pro2/X-H1/X100F and X-T20) and faster af system. It has 325 focus points compared to the X-E2’s 77. It also has the beautiful Acros film simulation if you’re into b&w photography and it does 4K video. The X-E2 has the older 16mp sensor and the older processor. You can get a mint condition X-E3 from B&H for $579.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Used%20Fuji%20X-E3&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

And you can get a used near mint 35 f2 for $285.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Used%20Fuji%2035mm%20f2&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=&usedSearch=1

If speed is your concern then I would go for the X-E3.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 V +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow