Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

CatholicBlock wrote:

Congratulations.   Here is the answer... Save your money for diapers, sleep when the baby sleeps, eat when the baby eats...

Here’s the two problems with the camera I’ve used and loved for several years (and yes, it’s the very first X100!):

1) the 23mm fixed lens is probably not the best for portraits of my newborn, and

If you like the X100, buy the X100s or later and use the conversion lenses like the 50 mm

2) the camera is sloooow. It’s been okay for vacation shots when traveling with my wife, but only barely. AF is especially awful in low light.

Look at the Sony RX-10 iii or iv you WILL want to take video with your stills !!  Or Panasonic G9 with the 12-60 mm 2.8 4.0.  If you want to stay with Fuji get the XH-1 you will want IBIS when you shoot video or buy a camcorder with your still camera.

So yeah, with a small kid soon to be crawling around, I feel like the X100 is probably not gonna cut it. However, budget is tight and I want to stay under $800.

I know this is your first child, but they just lay there for at least 6 months till they should start to sit up on there own.  Usually they start cruising in the 10 months or so range and start to walk 11-14 months range.

Would a used X-T1 or X-T10 with a 35mm f1.4 or newer 1.8 make sense? Would the autofocus be a solid improvement over the X100?

A newer gen X-T20 or a E-X3 is probably over my budget used, but I’ll consider it if AF is a huge leap forward

Of course that depends on lenses though, which is what makes me confused... I know the 35mm f1.4 has a reputation of being something of a bottleneck, so perhaps I don’t need the newest camera? But is a 35mm even the right choice for baby shots?

Thanks a lot for any help and suggestions!

I bought a Nikon D90 AND a camcorder.  I am suggesting the best solution putting myself back in your position.

I want to shoot video with a new baby all the time. I want stills as well.

IF I want ONE camera to do it all IBIS is a must have deal breaker feature!!

Panasonic micro 4/3 I was never a fan of Olympus so it is biased that way. The G9 is really nice.  Sony A6500 or A7 something,  Fuji XH-1.

The key here is speed of getting the shot even with a baby that cute reaction thing is come and gone even if they can't sit up for many many months.

IF I really wanted to make this very Easy....  RX-10 ii even has a F 2.8 24-200 zoom is perfect because you really do not want to use a built in flash of the camera with a baby.  Bounce the flash from the hot shoe, get a Nissin i60 flash

I would not buy a system camera yet and if you do you will be selling it in the next 2 years anyway .

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow