Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CatholicBlock New Member • Posts: 4
Having my first child, what is a solid but affordable upgrade from my X100?

Here’s the two problems with the camera I’ve used and loved for several years (and yes, it’s the very first X100!):

1) the 23mm fixed lens is probably not the best for portraits of my newborn, and

2) the camera is sloooow. It’s been okay for vacation shots when traveling with my wife, but only barely. AF is especially awful in low light.

So yeah, with a small kid soon to be crawling around, I feel like the X100 is probably not gonna cut it. However, budget is tight and I want to stay under $800.

Would a used X-T1 or X-T10 with a 35mm f1.4 or newer 1.8 make sense? Would the autofocus be a solid improvement over the X100?

A newer gen X-T20 or a E-X3 is probably over my budget used, but I’ll consider it if AF is a huge leap forward

Of course that depends on lenses though, which is what makes me confused... I know the 35mm f1.4 has a reputation of being something of a bottleneck, so perhaps I don’t need the newest camera? But is a 35mm even the right choice for baby shots?

Thanks a lot for any help and suggestions!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow