E-M1X AF settings for birds ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ProfPS Forum Member • Posts: 82
E-M1X AF settings for birds ?

After positive first impressions, I've been using the E-M1X to do more birding. On some trips I carried the Z7 with the 500mm PF as well. I'm much more familiar with the Z and alhtough it isn't known for its great focus performance, by comparison I've been getting more consistent results with the Z than with the E-M1X' continuous focus modes.

Here's what I found so far re: E-M1X focus settings:

- I've found single point AF-S and AF-C to be good and confident, no issues

- multi point AF-C with centre start and/or centre bias: unreliable for birds against busy background. I expected this to be like Nikon's dynamic or wide area AF but the focus box is much less sticky and moves around even if the bird I've aimed at doesn't move. I'm quite disappointed as I'm used to a system where the perimeter focus points act as 'backup' to the center point (e.g. for birds on moving branches), but the E-M1X doesn't play along.

- C-AF + Tr: there is huge potential here as it works very well when it engages - but more often than not, it refuses to engage at all. The funny thing is, sometimes it locks and follows, then moments later after re-engaging focus, it refuses to track the same object. I have no idea how to get it to work more consistently.

For now, I'm only happy using this camera in single point focus modes. It does feel a bit restrictive not to be able to reliably use the other modes, and I wonder if I am simply not using them correctly, or with the wrong expectations. Any tips from experienced members are very welcome.

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow