Too sharp lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
fferreres Contributing Member • Posts: 949
Re: Too sharp lenses?

DeathArrow wrote:

Too sharp lenses? Is there such a thing? Did you ever felt the need of less sharp lenses?

This guy is changing his lens because it's too sharp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyNzuAjK-SY

Quting from his description from youtube: "A ‘better’ lens should mean better image quality, but does it? Does a better lens mean better photos? I don’t think it does so I’m testing my Fujinon 18-55 OIS lens against a Fujinon16-55 WR lens that cost over four times as much money to see what the difference is."

Did you find better image quality hurting your photograhy?

I find it a bit weird. I get it if you think you are fine with a certain IQ level, or level of sharpness and don't need anything better. I get it if you are low on cash and have to sell your lens and get a cheaper one. But feeling that degrading IQ is actually better for your photography is kind of weird.

No. First, you may not want the fine detail in your composition. Second, you may not want high microcontrast if the scene features a lot of dynamic range. Actually videographers sometimes look for uncoated glass (and pay more for it) as when using log recording, you want as much dynamic range captured in the scene, and the lowest contrast possible but still distinguishable. However, for photography, generally, I prefer high contrast. Also, there is not such thing as "too much contrast" unless software created, as the lens cannot invent more contrast than there is in the actual light, to start with.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow