Pigment in dye printers.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ColourPhil
ColourPhil Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: Pigment in dye printers.

enduser wrote:

A Chinese company sent me some pigment filled carts for a HP T120 24" roll printer. I have used three sets of these HP 711 carts with pigment ink in all four piezo channels over twelve months.

I wasn't absolutely sure if they were pigment but I hung the prints in full Australian sun for months with no fade. I washed the prints and the ink stayed put. The machine is a three colors and black.

I use Qimqge's purge program once a week. There has been no nozzle blockages or cleaning station mess and printhead inspections show nothing unusual.

So, is there some ink development we know nothing about? (I know from this Forum you can use pigment in one of the Epson dye machines too). Is pigment ink now universal?

I can't imagine a 'universal' pigment ink!

Epson have several different varieties of pigment ink: Ultrachrome/K3/Vivid Magenta/HD, etc. to name a few, and Canon and HP are different again, and with different versions.

The 'compatible' versions are spectrally very different from these and from each other. The appearance of colour patches is visually quite different to the expert (and often inexpert) eye, never mind with a spectrophotometer!

Also a 'dye' printer's driver will have ink loadings, etc. designed for that company's particular version of dye ink.

I recently made a profile for someone who was using the wrong 'compatible' ink (designed for a different manufacturer's printer) for dye sub printing, and the results were very disappointing. When they realised what was happening and switched to ink for their machines they were much happier!

Cheers,

Phil

-- hide signature --
 ColourPhil's gear list:ColourPhil's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax KP Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow