* The Weekly Image Thread 19 05 28 #362 pt2 *

Started 11 months ago | Photos thread
Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 10,729
Re: More Isn't Always Better....

Nobody remembers Fluid Drive, Andrew. I'm really a dinosaur. I had an enormous 1951 De Soto Suburban Carry All (much like a Kaiser Traveler) with Fluid Drive and a huge flathead six. It had a fluid clutch and a 4 speed which only shifted when signaled by releasing or increasing the throttle opening. When ready for an upshift releasing the accelerator would activate several solenoids and shift up to the next gear. It would make a loud click to let you know to accelerate up through that gear to the next. If you mashed the accelerator or slowed to less than a certain speed it would shift down with a lurch. People called it "Tip-toe shift."

In a parking lot a few months ago walking behind a parked vehicle it began to reverse into me. I sprang out of the way and realized I had only moved a couple of inches. I reached up and hit the back window hard and it stopped, just touching my leg. I got lucky and will not be walking behind any vehicle again. Rich

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AVG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow