That old lens choice help needed

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
bryand7k
OP bryand7k Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Re: We Use Nikkor 80-400G VR Lenses For Woods Walks

Rexgig0 wrote:

The Nikkor 200-500/5.6 has a clumsily-long rotation of the focusing ring. I would rather pay more, and actually did so, last year, for a Nikkor 80-400G VR. My wife made the same decision in 2015. In each case, I paid much less than M.A.P. by buying well-preserved, pre-owned lenses. In her case, recovering from a health issue, the overall weight of the camera/lens combination mattered, too, favoring the lighter 80-400G VR.

If someone gifted us a Nikkor 180-400mm zoom, with the integral 1.4x TC, I would still mostly use the more-portable 80-400G VR, when I want to use a zoom. (Much of the time, I actually use an AF-S 300/4D, with a TC, and bring a second camera, with a shorter lens.)

A local Nikon USA rep, who has a big case full of sample lenses, so has access to most of the line-up, likes to use the 80-400G VR for birds and wildlife.

Sigma zoom and focusing rings operate in the “wrong” directions, for those accustomed to Nikon zooms. When shooting fast-moving subjects, this does matter. Tamron zooms operate in the “Nikon” way.

I am not biased against Sigma. We have a 150-600mm Sport, which has the option of being zoomed by the push-pull method, rather than turning the zoom ring. (This one, however, is mostly a tripod-mounted lens, more for its too-forward balance than its actual weight.)

Besides the weight the focus ring definitely is time consuming. I got it today to test and so far like what I see. The 80-400 isn't any longer than my Sig 100-400!

I've had a Sig 150-600 but was shooting at 7.1 so would loose the lower 5.6 which here helps in low light

bryand7k's gear list:bryand7k's gear list
Nikon D500 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow