2.2GB microdrive for $259!

Started Oct 4, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MLynnL Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
2.2GB microdrive for $259!

I recently purchased a Magicstor 2.2GB Microdrive for $259 (made in China; http://www.gs-magicstor.com ). It seemed like a good deal at the time so I tried it out. The drive was delivered on Wednesday and I have now had some experience with it. The first day I had it I took nearly 300 raw images with my digital rebel. The drive didn’t feel any slower than my 1GB IBM microdrive. At one point during the evening’s shooting I experienced an ERR 02 message. I turned off the camera, removed the card, and reinserted the card and everything appeared to work fine. The next morning I sat down at my desk where my rebel was sitting and I heard this ticking sound coming from the camera. I put my ear up to the CF compartment and could hear what sounded like the drive trying to spin up then clicking to a stop then repeating that same sequence over and over again. The hand grip felt very warm to the touch. The power switch on the camera had been in the off position all night long so I was pretty shocked that the drive was trying to operate. Anyway, to get the camera to work I had to take out the card with the power switch in the off position take the memory card completely out of the camera replace it and turn the camera back on. The next day I did some more shooting, this time in JPG mode. After about 20 or so pictures I would get a ERR 02 message on my camera and I would have to power down, remove the card, replace the card and power back up. I tried reformatting the card several times both in the camera and in my computer with FAT 32. Nothing helped. When I turn off my camera I must remove the card to keep it from trying to operate. I had the exact same experience with my EOS 10D as well. To anyone who is considering buying one of these cards, I strongly recommend you don’t. My card is going back to the store tomorrow and I won’t be buying another one.

Greg

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow