D500 > A6400 for Wildlife

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SurfFish Regular Member • Posts: 484
Re: D500 > A6400 for Wildlife

Craig Gillette wrote:

I think you do have to get into the lens issues here. The D500 can be used with the Nikon 200-500 and a variety of third party lenses in the xx-600 or xxx-600 range, and others as well. Sony doesn't have that potential yet, for the most part, and some only by adapter with some good and some mixed results.

A side issue is that using bigger, longer, faster lenses, etc., works against the size advantages of a smaller mirror-less body. So, if subject matter draws in big lenses, at least for some uses, the smaller camera doesn't provide much advantage.

I pretty much agree with Craig here, not because Sony is not there yet, but for price point. Once a native e-mount third party tele-zooms are available then I’ll recommend the A6400.

It is always better to try before pushing the buy button. See if you can rent one along with sigma lens and adaptor.

Goodluck!

SurfFish's gear list:SurfFish's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a99 II Sony a6400 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow