Is It capture the memory, or Photographic excellence?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,624
Re: Not either/or issue

dkeller wrote:

I guess "a few" is relative.

Yes but I suspect that to most people a few years means less than 5-10 years.

Just copied 13 of my mother's photo albums with many dating back over 70 years and a few passed on from her parents of even further. Those old B&W photos held up fairly well over the years. Except for archival prints, most digital work won't last that long and may even be very difficult to find anything to read. I've gone from 5" to 3" floppy, to ZIP, then to CD to DVD, to Hard Drives, and am backing with solid state drives. A great number of photos from the mid 20th century were on color paper and slides which have faded beyond normal restoration, as I've found out the hard way. Of course, we also have the question of "who would even be interested in this stuff?" with a very large percentage of our treasured photos. It can get depressing if we think about it too much!!!

I'm of the firm belief that because there are so many digital images, in the billions or even trillions for sure, that the ability to view them will last as long as there are people to view them. Just because new image formats and operating systems replace old ones doesn't mean programs capable of viewing older formats will not be available.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow