Need information on your thoughts, V2 and 10 100 lens.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RichDitch Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: My last entry?

Paul Pasco wrote:

dog house riley wrote:

Paul;

I like that also. When I meant mirrorless, I was referring to Nikons Z system, too much money and too heavy, might as well stay with my current gear.

May I ask you a question? In just a few words, what are the major differences between the V1,V2?? just your opinion.

I have never held a V2 but I read a lot! V2 has a grip and is like a mini SLR. The V1 feels like classic Leica to me; think screw mount variety. V2 has pop up flash, V1 has none but there are two nice accessory flashes available. And that brings us to a major issue with the system in general; there is no compatibility with Nikon's existing flash system. Another issue that bugs the hell out of many is when you take a shot with the V1 you get an instant replay in the viewfinder and you can't turn it off. I, like others, learned long ago to tap the release right after a shot to get back to live view. When doing a sequence you will see a quick progression of images ending again with a review of the last shot. The V2 can have the image review turned off I believe. There are other things and if you have time, check out this article: http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/nikon-1-camera-reviews/nikon-v2-review.html

I have both - a pair of V2's and a single V1 that I picked up recently after reading all the favorable comments about it in this forum.

The V2 is definitely more like a miniature DSLR than the V1. I like the look of both cameras, and the way they fit the hand. The built in grip of the V2 is excellent; the V1 doesn't have that. I've added a nice accessory grip to the V1 made by Fotodiox and worth searching for if you intend to use longer lenses on the V1. The Fotodiox grip is better than the one made by Nikon as it doesn't cover the battery/memory card access door.

The V2 has a better user interface (at least most of us think so) with a good dial on top to set A, P, M, or S mode. On the V1 this is buried within the menus.

The V1 is 10MP (like a D200), while the V2 is 14MP (half way between a D300 and a D7000).

The V1 uses the same EN-EL15 battery as the D7000/D7200 - a blessing if you already have some and the extra capacity of this larger battery allows far more shots on a single charge.

Paul mentioned the annoyance of the forced image review - I haven't learned the trick Paul points out to clear it but I'll make an effort to do so from now on!

Another annoying feature of the V1 is the mode dial on the back of the camera - it is way too easy to accidentally change the setting just grabbing the camera and requires attention to make sure the camera is set to the mode you want.

I like using both the V1 and the V2. I keep the 10-100 non PD lens mounted on the V2, and the 18.5/1.8 "normal" lens on the V1.

I'm studying both, I do some light sports [BMX racing] and FPS could make a difference .

Both do 15FPS with auto focus, 60FPS with focus fixed on 1st exposure!

Mostly I'd just be taking photos, of unique objects, light landscapes people and the local zoo.

I've looked at FR-1 and with my 70 300 VR, I think a neat zoo rig. Your thoughts, on this.

189-810mm equivalent! Your lens will work well but the newer, smaller, lighter, cheaper 70-300 AF-P DX lens is a great match for the V's. I don't have one but several people here do and can speak better on it. I have a 55-200 VR II (collapsable model) that works quite well but quite a bit shorter equivalent focal length. Hope this helps.

D H R

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow