Sharpest 50mm/55mm/58mm f/1.4 (wide open)?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
backsidewalkaround Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Sharpest 50mm/55mm/58mm f/1.4 (wide open)?

fferreres wrote:

backsidewalkaround wrote:

When wide open sharpness is the focus of such an inquiry, the difference between one of the old lenses (even those that scored high) and the Sony Zeiss Sonnar 1.8/55 at f/1.8 is much larger.
I just finished an article in order to give my opinion on the matter:
https://theothersideofbokeh.wordpress.com/2019/05/26/whats-the-best-vintage-lens/

I just read the new article, and I think my previous post maybe misinterpreted your perspective ( I though you where somehow advocating that a modern lens is better overall).

LOL about getting a Zeiss lens if they aren't liking what they bought so far. It made me giggle and wish you the Zeiss detractor crowd doesn't get to that part. But I tend to agree I like what they do to the sensor a LOT.

Thanks for reading the article. And yes: I am saying a modern lens is better overall (if you sum it all up). But a good photographer can (almost) always work around that and achieve equal results with an old lens. On top of that he has a lot more fun doing it. ;-).

backsidewalkaround's gear list:backsidewalkaround's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow