A day out at Eyebrook Reservoir.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stuburu1 Contributing Member • Posts: 583
A day out at Eyebrook Reservoir.

The reservoir is in two counties Leicestershire and Rutland and this is my usual spot on the Leicestershire side for hopefully seeing the local nesting Osprey 03 fishing but on this occasion i`m distracted by what is going on in the lighter of the `patchwork` of fields on the Rutland side.It appears to be early grass cutting and this usually attracts the attention of Red Kites a beautiful large bird of prey that is of a carrion nature so anything that is likely to get in the way of farm machinery is quickly spotted and dispatched. V1,6.7-13 vr.

Before I can make my way around a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly lands on the nearby chervil to feed. V2,,30-110,10 mm ext.tube.

A common Whitethroat  gathers food for hungry mouths. V3,70-300 cx.

The field with the `traditional`plastic wrapped bales,yes we are all making a concerted effort to cut down our use of this material.Rant over! V1,6.7-13 vr. A Speckled Wood butterfly lands on the gate bolt so the V2,30-110 vr 10 mm ext.tube is employed again.Not bad having these small cameras with appropriate lens combinations at the ready is it.....

At last a Red Kite comes my way with that beautiful red forked tail acting as a rudder in the breeze. V3,70-300 cx.

A Kite showing off a two metre wingspan and a hapless rodent in it`s talons. V3,70-300 cx.

A way over towards the woodland area a pair of Red Kites take some time out but too distant for conventional photography so the birding scope had to be employed with the V1,10-30 with my home made adaptor.Not the best optical quality but it`s all about the memories now.

The Osprey did appear but if there is one thing I have learnt over the many years of birding and that is to concentrate on one thing,unless they are butterflies of course or a Whitethroat,err you know what I mean,well I can see the Osprey anytime....I think.

The Red Kites were reintroduced to Northamptonshire between 1995/98 with 30 birds brought over from Spain and are now a common site in Rutland  with more sightings in my home county of Leicestershire recently. Hope that you enjoyed the trip.

Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow