Solar Eclipse and Sigma/Nikon Lens advice....

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Lyle Aldridge Senior Member • Posts: 1,101
Re: Solar Eclipse and Sigma/Nikon Lens advice....

KingsleyB wrote:

Hi,

I'm traveling to the Atacama desert and Patagonia in July and there is going to be a full solar eclipse whilst I'm there. I'm now looking for some advice on lenses to take with my Nikon D850.

The longest lens I currently have is the 70-200mm or the 200mm. I initially was going to take my Nikon 70-200 with a x1.7 teleconverter, The got sidetracked by the Nikon 200-500 with a x1.4 teleconverter, which I think is going to be too heavy to carry around for over a month.

Now I'm looking at Sigma, and the choices I'm thinking between are the:

1) 100-400 with x2 telecon

2) 50-500 with teleconverter

3) 150-600 with teleconverter.

Do you have any experience or recommendation for a good lens to take? I am trading off optical clarity and weight.

Any thoughts would be most welcome. Needless to say I'm getting some solar filter for it too. Was thinking of the Formatt-Hitech Solar Eclipse filter

Thanks in advance!

Kingsley

I can't tell from your post whether you already have one teleconverter, or are just thinking of buying one, but have you considered using more than one? Good TC's can be stacked (see, e.g., Roger's moon image), and if weight is your concern, and your target will be the sun, the the effect on focal ratio is not a bad thing.

I don't know what options are for you in Australia, but a Nikon TC can be rented here in the US for $40/week or less.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow