archiving, digital vs. film

Started Oct 3, 2003 | Discussions thread
Dan O. Regular Member • Posts: 238
Re: archiving, digital vs. film

Auch! Film is quite picky on the maintenance department. Store your
negs in ol' shoe boxes in the basement and you can be sure they'll
be destroyed within a relatively short period of time.

I agree with you on everything. But I have a question. I have 244 negatives that were taken between digital cameras during the months of March, April, May, June, and July. Many of them are very important to me as about 100 are from our trip to Europe. I will probably not go to Europe for at least another 10 years, and I have never been before.

Anyway, all the negatives are stored in archieval negative sleeves in a 3 ring binder that I keep here in my basement. I figured the basement was the best place to store them as the rest to the house can easliy reach the 90s during the summer. Of course, it's also quite dark down here. There is almost no sunlight.

Now you said that if I store my negatives in a shoebox in the basement they will be no good in a short period of time. Why is this and what can I do to prevent it from happening?

As a side note, I sent half of my negatives to the lab to get scanned onto CD-Rs this morning. I plan on sending the other half in soon. I fear that my negatives are not safe in the basement without any backups. We do get floods down here on a rare occasion, so maybe the basement is not the best idea. But what is?
--
Here are some Canon A70 photos from my daily life.
http://www.DansPhotos.DansPhotos.photoshare.co.nz

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow