50/1.8 Nikkor S and 65/2 Apo-Lanthar on Z7

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,890
50/1.8 Nikkor S and 65/2 Apo-Lanthar on Z7

There’s another E-mount lens that I’ve been wanting to use on my Z7, the Cosina-Voigtlander 65 mm f/2 Apo-Lanthar. I decided to do an informal test against the 50 mm f/1.8 Nikkor S native Z-mount lens. The focal lengths differ considerably, the Nikkor is an AF lens and the CV is manual, and the CV is a macro lens (that nevertheless does quite well at infinity), so you may want to take these results with a grain of thought, but I hope they are instructive.

https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/50-1-8-nikkor-s-and-65-2-apo-lanthar-on-z7/

There's not much distance between those two lenses in that test, although the CV is a tiny bit crisper in the corners. That the Nikkor does so well is quite a testimony to that lens.

If you're wondering if the Apo-Lanthar plays nice with the Z7 sensor stack, it does indeed.

By the way, for the Apo-Lanthar, I used manual focus, and refocused at each aperture down to f/4. The focus by wire is so bad on the Z7 that I found I could do better by using AF-S in pinpoint (CDAF) mode, so that’s what I did. Nikon really needs to fix that.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow