a6400 questions primarily about the auto focus for moving people.

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jamesx521 Regular Member • Posts: 154
a6400 questions primarily about the auto focus for moving people.

Hi everyone,

I am interested in getting the a6400 primarily because of the auto focus for street photography of moving people. I am currently using the RX100Va, and I am yet to get sharp faces of moving people.

I wanted to point out right away, that although I will do many different types of photography and obviously this camera will be excellent for pretty much anything else, the reason for the a6400 particularly as my pick (according to the DP review) is for its AF ability... and hopefully the turnout will be the successful capture of moving people, and particularly their faces. My experience with the RX100Va was great on many other factors, but not on getting sharp faces on moving people. There was no touch screen, I kept fiddling with the cluttered menus to make the best out of its AF, but failed too many times. (Tried the AF to capture flying bees at macro, and at fully extended lens too... oh forget about it.) So, hopefully, following the DP review guide on how to optimize my AF on the a6400 will turn out to be success.

I also wanted to point out that my technique is not, Stop, Put Camera on My Face, Point and Shoot, but, I'm talking about, I will be walking, Camera's at my hip, I will manually point on the screen to where the person(s) are, and the AF will hopefully do its job on at least one of the multiple shots.

Also, I will probably start with one of the basic lenses, and will not remove it because I live in a dusty environment with cat hair. I will probably pick the basic cheaper lenses unless you can advice me otherwise. I noticed that some of the lenses on the DP review photo samples were literally the same price as the camera itself, and that's out of my price range.... So, most likely it would be one of the cheaper basic lenses offered on Amazon: the 16-50, or the 18-135. I may prefer the wider one for street photography. Is the 16-50 faster in focus, or the focus time is unrelated to the lens? My only other experience with detachable lenses was when I was using film 20 years ago, so I am totally not up to date on lenses.

The camera is a bit too bulky for my liking -- I would've rather had a compact pocketable with non-detachable lens, but again I'm doing this specifically so I can achieve the capturing of moving people.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow