Good Results Require Understanding

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Under the Anvil
Under the Anvil New Member • Posts: 13
Good Results Require Understanding

This camera tends to get a bad rap because some people buy it thinking it's a simple point and shoot, but it's actually a feature-packed compact camera that requires knowledge of basic camera elements such as aperture and shutter speed to get the most out of it.

Results in low light are not great no matter how it's approached. They can be on the verge of great if you use slow shutter speeds and low ISO levels, but that isn't practical when trying to hold the camera and snap pics. I mostly keep the ISO level limited to 800. I'm guessing ISO levels above that yield poor results in low light because of the 1/2.3" sensor.

When the aperture is opened all the way ( f/3.3 ) and you try to shoot something like a landscape, the edge of images can appear soft/out of focus. If you shoot a landscape or any other scene where you want everything in focus, it's best to set the aperture to f/8. The entire image will be less sharp, but it's a more consistent focus throughout the image.

Zooming in on things yields awesome results.

There's a night mode that allows the shutter to be open for up to 60 seconds.

There's tons of options and lots of different ways to approach what you're aiming for.

Here's a couple shots in a lower light setting I snapped while holding the camera:

Under the Anvil's gear list:Under the Anvil's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 (Lumix DMC-TZ80)
18 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 720 mm (30×)
Announced: Jan 5, 2016
Under the Anvil's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
great
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow