Really excited for the Fujinon 45-100mm f/4, but... what's Fuji's strategy?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Velocity of Sound
Velocity of Sound Contributing Member • Posts: 644
Really excited for the Fujinon 45-100mm f/4, but... what's Fuji's strategy?

I recently had a look at the lens roadmap, and I see there's a 45-100mm f/4 with image stabilization due out in 2020.  This is exciting to me.  I love the (35mm equivalent) 35mm, 50mm, and higher focal lengths for portraiture and general use, and optical image stabilization would give my 50S some stabilization features (which I'm used to and love with my other camera system).

But putting it in place with the other lenses seems a bit odd.  For example, the 32-64mm f/4 (which I also own and love, and which I've heard is a popular range for cinema) has an awful lot of overlap with the 45-100mm.  It goes wider, sure, but it doesn't have as much range, lacks image stabilization, and based on the images circulating around, isn't significantly smaller than the 45-100mm.  Then there are the 45mm and 63mm f/2.8 primes, which are smaller and lighter but only one stop faster, also lacking in image stabilization and lacking even the newer "linear motor" autofocus motors.

Many manufacturers make zooms that "connect" to one another; the 45-100mm, for example, would "connect" to the 100-200mm f/5.6.  So it would seem as if Fuji's next move would be to make a zoom that goes from ultra-wide to wide... which would be phenomenal, but would further make the 32-64mm's positioning seem odd.  And if such a wide-angle zoom lens were still f/4, it would also make the 23mm f/4 prime seem a bit odd, as well.

I'm new to medium format and to Fuji, so maybe this all makes sense in a way that I'm not seeing - just throwing some thoughts out there and would love to hear what others think.

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow