Peregrine with RX10iv -- soft?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rachael P
Rachael P Regular Member • Posts: 380
Peregrine with RX10iv -- soft?

I went to scope out a peregrine site yesterday. As I hadn't really planned it in advance, I had the RX10iv with me, but not the FF kit.

As it happened, I was lucky. A peregrine came by and perched briefly on the cliff in front of me, before flying away again. So I got several shots, of which this one is my favourite. The cliff was in the shade, and there is not a lot of contrast in the shot. All the same, it seems rather soft to me.

I was using AF-C, small flexible spot, f/4 aperture. So I would have hoped for better. In line with several other threads lately, am I being unreasonable?

I'll post both the SOOC JPEG and my best attempt at a PP raw...

Yes, I know I am not close enough. But there is a 25 metre hole between the watch point and the cliff, and we are talking about peregrines, which really don't sit around calmly if you get too close.

Rachael P's gear list:Rachael P's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow