Lightweight backpacking kit (APS-C)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,665
Re: Lightweight backpacking kit (APS-C)

Fergus Ferguson wrote:

I would take the 24mm and learn how to take pano's. It is very easy, and they look cool.

Then the 55-250mm.

The 50mm f1.8 if you really want low light.

And that would be it.

Personally I bought a 24-105mm f4 L for a 70D. The 105mm gets me to 168mm, the 24mm works out to 38mm, and then I either just do a pano, or get out my ifone and take a pano on it. They are actually pretty decent if you practice. I have the 10-18mm, but I only think I ever used it a couple of times because I love pano's so much.

I have a trip coming up, and I have been trying to convince myself how badly I need a 70-300mm L or the 100-400mm L. I am struggling to justify it.

Thanks for the different perspective.  I've long been a fan of panoramas.  Long time ago stitched them when I used 30D, but with Sony RX100m2 I used built in pano mode which usually stitched near perfect if my technique was good.  Now I am back to SL2.

What is your pano technique with 24mm, any recommended aperture range and how much overlap between frames?  I am shortly leaving on an overnight trip so have no time to experiment.  When I use to do this with 30D and 50mm lens I used M mode and AF the first frame, then switch to MF to lock focus.

RX100m2 automatic pano

(My old iphone 6 doesn't have enough battery to take many pics.  I usually use GPS on it also - so I'd have to pick GPS or Photo.)

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow