EOS R and 24-70 I Error 01

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 6,621
Re: EOS R and 24-70 I Error 01

ulfeee wrote:

Just found out from Canon that minimum labor charge will be $299 plus parts. And the original 24-70 will be serviced for next 2 years. Makes buying the 2470 II that much more reasonable. Will be heading to Europe this summer and not sure if I would even trust a fixed 2470 to be a reliable lens on the trip.

Can I ask why IS is not that important to you?

hi ulfeee, i am glad you got a repair cost estimate from canon, this makes your decision making process as far as what to do, easier

to answer your question regarding IS, in general, having IS in a lens is not a bad thing, however, it is not necessary in a short FL tele such as 24-70. having tele on a long reach tele or a prime is very critical if you expect sharp and focused shots but not at the wide end. it is easy to adapt to lack of IS in a lens once you put your mind to it. i have used my canon 400 f5.6 handheld for years with good result. but that requires bright sunlight to increase the shutter speed and if light is dim, you can always increase the iso to a certain point.

i am pretty sure you'll get use to handholding 24-70 very quickly and you won't pay attention to it, i know i have here is and example of handholding 24-70 in dim light:

-- hide signature --

if everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough! "Mario Andretti"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow