135mm vs 70-200mm

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MarcoE
OP MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 754
Re: 135mm vs 70-200mm

KE_DP wrote:

MarcoE wrote:

anybody who switched from telezoom to prime ? I was aiming for the sony fe 70-200mm f4 until i saw some reviews of 135mm lenses. Zoom (versatility) versus prime quality and relative more compact /less weight. My main use with the telezoom will be landscapes and incidental portraits. The 135mm is the other way around but is also perfectly usable for landscapes. I know i should try both at a local store but would like to know your experience.

Are you comparing f1.8 to 4? DOF and bokeh will be one consideration for portraiture. 200mm can really compress the BG but the 135s likely have better contrast and separation. Low light another consideration. The versatility of a zoom cannot be ignored however, and the 70-200 f4 is a good lens though I sold mine and went to the 70-200 GM 2.8.

Is the 16-35 GM your only other FE lens?

Thnx for your reply Karen. No besides the 16-35mm GM i have the Zeiss 55mm f1.8

I want max. 3 lenses to carry around on holiday. I was looking for the 70-200mm f4 but are now also doing some research if the 135mm could serve my needs for landscapes / cities.

MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow