Does what I am looking for exist?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
Does what I am looking for exist?

I need what I think is called a dongle and I do not know if it even exists.  And if it does, I do not know what to call it in a search (at B&H for example).

The graphics card on my relatively old computer accepts a monitor input of VGA (15 pin, I think it is called).  I was looking to upgrade my still functioning monitor to a larger and better quality one and realized that the monitors I am most interested in do not have VGA connectivity.

Is there a dongle that will allow me to connect a HDMI monitor (merely as one example) to the VGA port on the computer?  If not HDMI, perhaps there is adaptability for one of the other popular non-VGA connection features of modern monitors.  If something like this exists, what do I call it in a search?

It appears that only the really cheap monitors (like under $200) support VGA connectivity and it is not supported on the more upscale devices I am looking at.  If such a dongle doesn't exist, it appears that my alternatives are"

- install a different video card in a 9 year old computer.

- buy a new computer even though the old one still works and, except for the small monitor, satisfies all my requirements.

Doug Haag

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow