SLT-A55V: Project Irony

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheSonyEnthusiast
TheSonyEnthusiast Regular Member • Posts: 210
SLT-A55V: Project Irony

So recently I'd been looking at project cameras for teardown and rebuild to create detailed guides.  I'd already done an A33 for my sister, so thought why not do it again except on an A55?

So I watched and sniped a camera that had all the telltale signs of a shutter charge motor failure based on the seller's description (won't shoot, bad motor), and sniped it for about $37 and some change.

I received the camera today and the condition was relatively good, just a mark on the lcd, and wear on the rubber grip between the lens mount and grip.  It appeared as if the person using it had extra-long nails because it is all scratched up, but it was to be expected on a used "broken camera" right?

WRONG.  The camera works just fine.  Better than fine.  What was the issue?  The OEM battery:  it had enough juice to turn the camera on, but the shutter was sluggish and eventually caused an error due to insufficient voltage.  Popped in the 3rd party battery that came with the camera and voila,  10 fps.  Why they listed it as broken is beyond me, especially when they had the remedy shipped inside the camera.

Figures I bought the one repair project on the Internet that turned out to not have an issue with it.  No worries, will do a teardown guide on it over the weekend.

-- hide signature --

I make my own repairs at home.

TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list:TheSonyEnthusiast's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a99 II Sony 50mm F1.4 +26 more
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow