Absolute blacks on prints..

Started May 23, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tabosko Forum Member • Posts: 56
Absolute blacks on prints..

Hello all!

I have recently entered the print printing world so forgive any ignorance on this subject I’ve purchased a canon pro 100 and got it all setup (that was a pain! Lol) love the printer! But I’m having one issue with a photo I really need to print.

This was done on canons Simi gloss 13x19 with the icc profile for that paper. Standard quality.

This a black and white photo and the 1st time I printed it, it came out find but with a green cast in the shadows and blacks. This print was printed in canons print studio plug in at the standard settings. I also noted in this print that darkest shades of black (which I take are absolute black/no detail) had a burn effect at the point where tapered off into the shadows.

So I went back and made sure the photo was 100% monochrome and repeated the print. No cast this time but the blacks were ever worse.

I tried a third time using photoshop and let photoshop manage the color and chose perceptual for the rendering. It said the photo was pro photo RGB and I chose adobe RGB for the printer. This produces a Sepia toned photo with the same issue in the blacks.

My monitor is calibrated and the image looks just like what I see on screen except for this area. For some reason the transition from the shadows to the mids just are not smooth.

I suppose the easiest way to fix this is to raise the blacks in the photo and bring the detail back to the darkest areas but that’s not how I want the photo to look. How can I print this without this effect?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow