Z6 + SB-500 Master + 2x SB-800 Slaves

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
andiksz New Member • Posts: 15
Z6 + SB-500 Master + 2x SB-800 Slaves

According to the Nikon Reference Manual (and also according to Thom Hogan's book) the SB-500 is the cheapest possibility to mount in the Z6 hot shoe in Master mode and thus release wirelessly certain Nikon CLS flashes in Slave mode optically (not radio!). (the other one would be the SB-5000).

I have this setup with 2 SB-800 Slaves for e.g. a repro setup. I have done this in 100s of shots with my old D700 and its built-in flash as Master.

The problem I am encountering now with the Z6 and the SB-500 as Master is the following: although the SB-500 in the hot shoe as Master ist set to the "--"option in the camera menu (means: no flash, only impulses towards the Slaves), it stIll fires. This results in an additional front illumination, totally unwelcome in a repro setup.

In my old D700 the built-in flash in Master mode did also light up but to such a minimal degree that it did not disturb in the picture. The new Z6 and the SB-500 doesn't do that.

Nikon Service Center is still digesting this problem, no solution until now. Has anybody got a suggestion?

Nikon D700 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow