Disqualified?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Regular Member • Posts: 363
Re: Disqualified?

tasad wrote:

crosson wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

crosson wrote:

Without knowing the context of this specific challenge I must say, that is a particularly weird rule.

All of his say much the same thing.

I see where pocoloco was confused.

I just started a new series . Maybe I'll add the same challenge without such a rule.

If you ask in your challenge :https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13789 ... "Show off your technique and demonstrate strong middle of the day photography. Prove to us that we need not wake up early and go to bed late. (...) " - then an exif data should be mandatory... And , of course - entries have to be checked , if they were taken at "middle of the day" ( those who woke up early or went to bed late should be DQ-ed )....

If you study the way the host composed the challenge, the word ‘demonstrate’ has put the onus of deliverance on the entrants. So no proof nor any additional imagined responsibility of diligence is needed from the host. In any case, no proof is ever needed in these challenges and there is no clause whatsoever that says the hosts (nor the voters) have to check anything. Wouldn’t it be funny if tasad starts accusing voters of irresponsible voting. I could only imagine if he comes up with a line saying, “you should not vote until you have looked through the exif”.

On a wider point of view when it comes to these challenges, there are people who are pure killjoy. I would advise the new hosts to just ignore them. I do have a suggestion (if I were to write this particular challenge) - I would just state “Show off your technique and enter photo which strongly APPEARS to be taken in the middle of day.” Therefore as long as the photo appears to look the part, no one can pick a bone with the hosts nor the entrant even if the Exif shows the entrant took the shot at 3AM in the morning. This phrasing also puts more power to the host to remove any lame and weak entries which do not look the part, despite being taken at 12 o’clock noon. But those are just my suggestions, so if you don’t like it, you can just ignore it. Good luck in hosting the challenges.

By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow