LUMIX LX100 II: Reduce JPG Shot brightness without affecting RAW

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP LowLightCompactBuyer New Member • Posts: 15
Re: You can do this - some samples

edhume wrote:

" ... might have to get used to always processing RAW." Indeed. For free raw, there is the Silkypix that came with your camera (mine was v3.5; I upgraded to v7 when the version limited to Panasonics was $38; upgrading to 8SE was free) or Rawtherapee (an open soure raw editor). Affinity hass working with raw built-in, but it costs a little.

Overall, you will probably like working with raw. I would never go back.

I want to work with RAW but I am finding RW2 to be less and less RAW than I expected.

Here is what I mean:

Panasonic's own software shows and saves only partial raw files.  Silkypix is doing some sort of lens correction or cropping which I cannot turn off by choice.  I also note that the files saved have been "developed" ... i.e. brightened.  It seems that the software assumes I don't want to start with the RW2 file as it is, (I.,e. RAW untouched) and applies a host of things which I am not completely aware of and cannot control.

Corel has a RAW converter associated with its PaintShop Pro... this has its own host of issues converting from RW2, including a sort of local tone mapping/contrast processing which is not controllable... and it too applies its own brightened exposure development.   It has support for 16-bit per channel images so you would think it would be easy to have a simple and direct RAW conversion... but no.

Turns out also that Corel After Shot Pro CANNOT read RW2 files from my camera... because it does not have a "profile" for the LUMIX LX100 II.

Luckily I happen to have astrophotography software... (yup scientists are sticklers) which can load the RW2 file without any modification except perhaps debayering.  Currently I am having to save these as TIFF's prior to export to other programs which is not ideal...

Any tips on something useful which also can read RW2 AS RAW files?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow