Global Shutter: the next holy grail?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,952
Global Shutter: the next holy grail?

Over the part 20 years as a photographer and videographer, I've seen a few technological milestones that basically made any precursor technologies redundant. I'm not talking about film to digital, or DSLR vs mirrorles, as those both are valid preferences to individuals.
I'm talking about things like lithium ion batteries, increased dynamic range, on-chip adc, live view PDAF... Basically technologies that there's no reason not to want, as they offer only benefit.

At this point, I believe we are within spitting distance of global shutter in full frame cameras, and I think it will likely be Sony who throws the first pitch.

I've been considering the benefits and impact that global shutter could potentially offer, and I think it might actually be a major advancement... Like mirrorless 2.0. I can imagine shooting on a completely solid-state body, with no mechanical shutter, with shutter speeds maybe five-times faster than mechanical counterparts. The wmost delicate part of the camera no longer existing, or needing to be replaced. Having the possibility of dual ADC readouts offering simultaneous photo and video recording, uninterrupted. Zero rolling shutter effect. Zero blackout. Completely silent, judder free operation without compromise. Fps as high as the computing components will allow. In fact, likely merging of stills fps and 8k video...

The list goes on, but for some reason, I feel like there will be some who argue against global shutter when it does inevitably arrive. That being said, I would love to hear something other's thoughts on global shutter, and if I'm missing anything (very likely!)

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow