A long weekend of soccer with the 5D IV and 400 f4 DO II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 833
A long weekend of soccer with the 5D IV and 400 f4 DO II

Hello everyone.

Last weekend I shot 5 games over the course of two days with the 5D IV and 400 DO II combo. We had some uncharacteristically wild weather over the weekend and I ended up shooting in everything from blazing sun to pouring rain. The camera and lens had no issues and didn't skip a beat.

I really enjoyed this combo for field sports! It was (relatively) light and mobile. Everything was shot handheld and the IS mode 3 was fantastic. I like the images I got out of this combo much more than I did with the 100-400 II. In some very high contrast backlit situations the bokeh was a bit busy but in most lighting situations the I didn't see any evidence of the diffractive optics. The first three images below show the bokeh at its worst but part of that is also heat shimmer. In short, I wouldn't hesitate to use this combo again if I wanted a great compromise of reach, mobility, and image quality.

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Ricoh GR III Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +7 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow