Is It capture the memory, or Photographic excellence?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
EvilOne
OP EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,511
Re: Is It capture the memory, or Photographic excellence?

Tim,

Thank you for your comments and observations. Ive been a photographer for 60 years.

While for most of those years its was as much about the journey as it was the final destination.  I was " That Guy " with the camera... A guy who shot everything.. did my best to learn " How to shoot  everything "  How to work with available light, subject and composition. I have a degree in Photography from 50 years ago. I learned the important things like hold discipline. I learned each frame shot was important. Today people will fire off 10 to 15 frames to capture one shot and hope to pick a keep from the luck of the shutter.  I learned how to time my shutter to capture the frame I wanted. Few people do that today.

Ive learned that for the most part photography is a solitary discipline. Meaning:. Few people outside the photographic world know anything about photography. IN the real world, images are glossed over for their content, not their quality. Most people do not know what goes into a great photograph. The effort, the time, the calculations, the moment of capture, etc. You can not find people who can understand both the art and the end result and what it took to get it there.

So as I said, while I can respect and appreciate a great photo, my own shots are more for me than for anyone else. Ive been down that road of trying to force my shots on people until they had enough. I was proud of my work, but I could feel that those viewing my photographs were too clueless to appreciate them for what they were.  There is a big difference between snap shots, and Photrographs.. Few people in my orbit would know the difference.

Just discussion through the eyes of an old Photographer. A guy that use to be thrilled to go to drug store to get the latest version of a photographic magazine, just to go the last few pages of endless adds from New York Photo shops.

Bill

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow